Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Football's Flamboyant Maestro

Just finished reading one of my 2 Ronaldinho biographies. It gave me a greater insight into the life of one of the most talented footballers in the history of the game and i enjoyed it immensely. Basically his story is the typical rags to riches story, but it was also a heartwarming story of how a young boy made use of his god given talent to become the best footballer in the world, but always maintaining his humility and always keeping his family as his top priority.

My love affair wif Ronnie has been ongoing for a few years now. Basically i still remember it all started in 2004 when i happened to catch el clasico on tv with Barca winning 2-1 and Ronnie creating the winning goal for Xavi. It was great vision and a fantastic pass from him as well. Coupled with the then ongoing Nike commercial which showed him doing the flip flap, it fuelled my curiosity to know more abt this player.

I started searching his name on the Internet and started to watch Barca's matches with great interest. Then I happened to stumble onto this website dedicated to him, and which showcased lots of his videos as well. I was ecstatic. I still remember how it felt when i started watching those clips. They took my breath away.

He did things with a football on the pitch that i had never imagined possible or seen anyone else doing. The more i watched, the more i was enthralled. I had always greatly admired skilful and talented playmakers (although i didnt fancy Zidane for some reason), and here was surely one of the best playmakers ever.

I had a number of favourite players over the years, as CHK would know, such as Vieri, McManaman, Kewell, Nedved etc but Ronnie was different. Here was a guy who played the game with a smile on his face and u could see tat he genuinely enjoyed playing football.

I will be foreve grateful to him for re-igniting my passion for football. I used to play regularly in sec sch, but then over the years i discovered other things, like clubbing, booze and other vices and football gradually became a distant memory. I still enjoyed watching it on tv, but i had lost my passion to play the game.

But because of Ronnie, I actually bought a new ball and started playing again. I had rediscovered my real love of the game. whatever i saw him do in the videos, i tried to do as well. That was almost 2 years ago. It took a long time and lots of practice and hard work, but at least i'm proud to say i can do some of those tricks now. most importantly, i'm playing football regularly again and enjoying it.

Behind that toothy grin lies a steely determination and true grit. He may have been overtaken by others as the best player in the world rite now, but he will surely bounce back again. Just watch.

"Yes, he is good, but it is the young one at home who is going to be the best in the world"

-Ronaldinho's father, in reply to comments from people praising Ronaldinho's elder brother, Roberto, who was a young emerging talent at the time. Ronnie was about 7 then. Those words would prove to be prophetic later on.

2 Comments:

Blogger lennie... said...

how awesome was our comeback against everton? keKkee... poor neville... oNce a devil, always a devil!

and hey baby, u've been tagged on my blog! :)

6:38 PM

 
Blogger Unknown said...

"Yes, he is good, but it is the young one at home who is going to be the best in the world"

- Neville Snr, in reply to comments from people praising the elder brother, Gary, who was a young emerging talent at the time. Turned out Phil was to be the one to clinch the Premiership title for Manchester United yet again in 2007, even when playing for another club!!!

1:06 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home